Re: shmem + TTM oops

From: Thomas HellstrÃm
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 16:16:35 EST

Hugh Dickins skrev:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Thomas HellstrÃm wrote:
Hi!
I've been debugging a strange problem for a while, and it'd be nice to have
some more eyes on this.

When the TTM graphics memory manager decides it's using too much memory, it
copies the contents of the buffer to shmem objects and releases the buffers.
This is because shmem objects are pageable whereas TTM buffers are not. When
the TTM buffers are accessed in one way or another, it copies contents back.
Seems to work fairly nice, but not really optimal.

When the X server is VT switched, TTM optionally switches out all buffers to
shmem objects, but when the contents are read back, some shmem objects have
corrupted swap entry top directory. The member
shmem_inode_info::i_indirect[0] usually contains a value 0xffffff60 or
something similar, causing an oops in shmem_truncate_range() when the shmem
object is freed. Before that, readback seems to work OK. The corruption is
happening after X server VT switch when TTM is supposed to be idle. The shmem
objects have been verified to have swap entry directories after all buffer
objects have been swapped out.

Not a symptom I've ever come across: I agree strange. A few questions:

What architecture? I assume x86 32-bit; if so, what happens on 64-bit?
if not x86, what is your PAGE_SIZE?

What size are these objects i.e. how many pages?

What release? I'm assuming 2.6.31-rc5 and various earlier.

What slab allocator? what if you choose another (SLUB versus SLAB)?
Please turn on all the slab/slub debugging you can.

And you say i_indirect "usually contains a value 0xffffff60 or something
similar": please give other examples of what you find there (if possible,
with a rough idea of their frequency e.g. is 0xffffff60 the most common?).

Does there appear to be corruption of any other nearby fields?

Thanks.

If anyone could shed some light over this, it would be very helpful. Relevant
TTM code is fairly straightforward looks like this. The process that copies
out to shmem objects may not be the same process that copies in:

I didn't notice anything wrong with your code; and it wouldn't
be easy for it to corrupt that field of shmem_inode_info.

Hugh
Hugh,

Thanks for looking at this.
After further debugging it seems this is not relevant to the shmem code. It looks like a (possibly misconfigured) hrtimer in the graphics driver corrupts the shmem_inode_info data from within interrupt context, so this appears to be a false alarm. The hrtimer was supposed to be idled at vt switch, but apparently not.

Thanks,
Thomas