Re: malloc() tracing in perf?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 09:47:46 EST

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 07:55 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 01:28:14PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Still hiding the discussion and the design never helped anybody.
> >
> > I guess "hiding" is a matter of opinion.
>
> Yeah in plain sight where nobody looks, really I thought the idea was to
> get utrace upstream, this means posting to linux-kernel. Going on LKML
> posts I'd say the utrace project was dead. Same goes for uprobe.
>
> I've told this before and I'll say it again, post to LKML.

I second this. _Any_ kernel development that is new must be discussed on
LKML. Sure, you can do the initial prototypes on a smaller mailing list,
but once you have that prototype ready, it should go to LKML. This was the
problem with Xen. The -rt patch was developed on LKML and even though
there's a lot more to get in, a lot already has. The reason is that all
development was done on the kernel mailing list.

-- Steve