Re: linux-arm-kernel useless for development (was Re: Your messageto Linux-arm-kernel awaits moderator approval)

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 08:43:47 EST

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:59:01PM +0530, David John wrote:
> I think the basis of Pavel's complaint is that the ARM mailing list is
> difficult to work with for casual users who might want to forward say,
> a simple bug report.
>
> If data protection laws prevent you from keeping an open list, can't you
> host the list at kernel.org or elsewhere?

If only it were as simple as that.

Basically, to properly resolve this I need a *UK* solicitor who is
well versed in data protection issues to advise. Given that this
is purely voluntary, I'm not willing to spend vast sums of money in
the legal domain to sort this issue out.

Neither am I willing to take a chance.

And no, moving the list outside the EU domain doesn't relieve any
of the lawful issues unless (as I understand the law) someone outside
the EU were to run the list. And people would have to independently
subscribe to it - I wouldn't be able to export the existing subscriber
list outside the EU.

Now, people here can tell me I'm wrong, but they aren't in the legal
profession... Would you get a gardener to fix your gas boiler, or
would you get a qualified and registered gas engineer in?

--
Russell King
maintainer of: