Re: linux-arm-kernel useless for development (was Re: Your messageto Linux-arm-kernel awaits moderator approval)

From: Erik Mouw
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 08:05:29 EST

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 13:02:47 +0200
Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu 2009-08-06 11:44:21, Russell King wrote:
>
> > It appears the answer to that is no. People are free to subscribe
> > to the one on vger, where they won't have to "put up" with me.
> > However, it seems that people much prefer to subscribe to my lists,
> > because that seems to be where the expertise is.
> >
> > Moreover,
> >
> > (a) when ever you have a problem, you go shouting and making public
> > accusations without trying first to resolve the problem in private.
>
> When I tried asking in private, I was told to stop complaining or
> loose my mailing list subscription. I'd prefer not to make that
> mistake again.

I can't comment on that one. I have to admit I have been busy (both
private and at work) lately, so I haven't been able to spend as much
time on list maintenance as I would like to.

> > (c) you really don't understand that "held for moderation" is *not*
> > rejection, but merely a case of mailman spotting something it
> > doesn't like and letting a *human* deal with it rather than
> > out-right rejecting it.
>
> For lakml, held for moderation _does_ mean it will return with
> "posting rejected: no reason given" in few days. I have never seen any
> other result, and have got perfectly reasonable messages rejected with
> "no reason". So no, I do not believe there's cooperative human being
> moderating lakml.

That's not true. For every message I reject I always explain the
reason. Most of the time it is "Please subcribe before you're allowed to
post".

> > I wonder, do you even know what happened to the message you're
> > whinging about? Would you prefer that your message was silently
> > dropped into /dev/null instead of having a chance of the issue
> > being resolved? It strikes me that _that_ would be a better
> > solution than all your whinging.
>
> So... your solution to broken mailing list is to silence everyone who
> complains?

No, if you asked us in private, it would already be solved. I just
increased the max_num_recipients from the default 15 to 30. That should
solve your problem.

Regards,

Erik

--
Erik Mouw -- mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG key fingerprint: D6AC 7F15 A26E C5C4 62E0 4A58 FCF9 551C 9B48 B68D