Re: [Regression] PCI resources allocation problem on HP nx6325

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 12:40:28 EST

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I think I understand the behavior on your box, and the warning was
> actually correct and useful - our PCI layer is being stupid. We should
> mark ROM resources as being prefetchable.
>
> Hmm.. We do seem to _try_ do exactly that in pci_read_bases(). I wonder
> what I'm missing, and where that bit is then cleared. Or whether we're
> doing that ROM BAR probe somewhere else too..

Manuel, could you compile your kernel with CONFIG_PCI_DEBUG enabled, and
then boot it with "pci=earlydump", and send me the dmesg of a kernel boot?

You may need to make sure that CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT is big enough to get
it all, and perhaps use "dmesg -s 1000000" (some versions of dmesg will
truncate the result to 64kB or something by default, and depending on just
how verbose your boot ends up being, you migth lose things).

Linus