Re: Boot failure on x86_64 (OOPS set_cpu_sibling_map() )

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 10:32:34 EST

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:50:29PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > Mind preparing a separate branch for it (.31-rc5 based) and send me
> > > a pull request so that we can share the commit between the EDAC tree
> > > and the x86 tree?
> >
> > Well, Andreas says the patches need a little polishing and he'll
> > be sending updated versions soon so you can pick them up. And
> > since the EDAC MCE stuff might still change before .32 merge
> > window opens, let's synchronize our pull requests instead. In the
> > meantime, I'll be rediffing the EDAC stuff against -tip for
> > linux-next.
>
> Would you rebase just due to this commit?

No, I wanted to keep the opportunity to be able to rebase the whole
series until the very last minute before the merge window, should
anything need to be changed...

> No need for that, feel free to carry it until Andreas sends an updated
> version. Then i can put it into a separate .31-rc5 based topic that
> you can pull into the EDAC tree.

... and this is basically what I had in mind: After you pull them in,
I'll rebase my branch against yours for linux-next. I see that Stephen
pulls edac before -tip in linux-next so I'll ask him nicely to reorder
those. This approach makes most sense anyways since edac relies on a
bunch of x86 facilities (topology bits, rd/wrmsr_on_cpus, mcheck etc)
and it is only natural that it goes second in linux-next, right?

Then the pull requests will go out in the same order during the merge
window and we should be fine.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
System | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany
Research | Geschäftsführer: Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
Center | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München
(OSRC) | Registergericht München, HRB Nr. 43632