Re: mm/-next release on kernel.org web page?

From: J.H.
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 01:02:52 EST

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:08:40 +0800 Dave Young wrote:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Randy Dunlap<rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:56:20 +0800 Dave Young wrote:

Hi,

The last mm patchset is 2.6.28-rc2-mm1. We can not download -mm
patchset from kernel.org web page since the -next tree born.

Could you consider put mmtom release there just like before? And even
-next tree patchset? It will be more convenient for users who test
kernel just by downloading from web. Now it's impossible for them to
test these patchsets because they normally do not subscribe to lkml.

from www.kernel.org:
For comments about the web pages, please send mail to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx

also from www.kernel.org:
Please don't use finger.kernel.org for any sort of automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The same information is available from http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner.

and of course the finger_banner file is not up to date.

You may consider using my http://www.xenotime.net/linux/scripts/kcurrent script.
Its output (today) is:

The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.30.4
The latest prepatch for the stable Linux kernel tree is: 2.6.31-rc5
The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.37.4
The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.26
The latest prepatch for the 2.2 Linux kernel tree is: 2.2.27-rc2
The latest -mm patch to the stable Linux kernels is: 2.6.28-rc2-mm1
mmotm-2009-0730-0501 ... applies to: 2.6.31-rc4
next-20090731 ... applies to: v2.6.31-rc4
Thanks randy. Very helpful. But I still have same question. Normal
users need a more convenient and straightforward way to get what they
want. It will be better that we put them on www.kernel.org main page,
not only the version info but also the download link.

At least for me when I started my kernel hacking some years ago I
always download kernel from www.kernel.org main page. I'm not sure
whether others people do same thing. Current -next and mmtom are more
like for us to do internal testing.

Oh, I agree with you, but webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx seems to be ignoring these
emails (this is the third such one in the last 3-4 months).

In fact we have been responding to these inquiries both to the public ones we have gotten (what we get added to on LKML), and to the private inquires, the latest one from LKML being a bit more than a week ago:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/334

We have been well aware of the problem for quite some time, the code base has rotted horribly, and the way kernel trees are placed in the hierarchy has changed from any reasonable assumption that was made many years ago when the code was first put together. We (meaning me) are, literally, in the middle of revamping this code, however it's basically a complete re-write of the code base at this point.

And in the last few weeks we've been dealing with quite a lot on top of trying to make forward progress on this code base, like the Bind DNS vulnerabilities, OSCon, Linux Symposium and the plethora of other things that need doing. Really, we aren't ignoring the problem, there's just one of me and a lot to do and I'm plugging away at it all. Please be patient, I'm trying to get it done and up and running. Until then *PLEASE* bear with us while we get through everything.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley