Re: Generic events for wake up from S1-S4

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 16:34:33 EST

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:51:14 +0200, Pavel Machek said:

> Ok, but then we should not be talking about wake up events,
> but... events.
>
> Like "lid opened", "wake packet came", ... . And deliver them even
> when they happen during run-time. That's okay with me.

That's actually a sane thing to do - for instance, one of the main uses
of "wake on LAN" in many environments is to wake up a box to do software
upgrades. And if we're already up-and-running, and we "know" (from site
policy) that a W-o-L packet is only sent because IT is pushing updates,
it may make a lot of sense to catch a "wake packet" event, and go ahead
and start the software updater *anyhow* (with suitable notification/confirm
dialog to the poor guy still working on that presentation at 2AM, of course :)