Way to combine kernel and initrd on x86 platform?

From: Subodh Nijsure
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 17:15:23 EST

I have been using the arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper scripts to combine
linux and initrd.gz to create a single image for distribution.

Is there similar wrapper possible for x86 platforms also? This is my
first week of working on x86 embedded platform.

I know of initramfs option in 2.6 kernel, however the contents of
initrd in my case are created after the kernel is build i.e. will have
to "patch in" the initramfs at later point in build process.

/Subodh