Can access to /proc/$PID/exe be relaxed?

From: Lennart Poettering
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 12:53:21 EST

Hi!

Unless I am mistaken a process currently needs CAP_SYS_PTRACE to read
/proc/$PID/exe for abritrary processes. Does that make sense? Could
that be relaxed? Is there any reason to limit access to that link at
all? To me the data from /proc/$PID/cmdline seems to be far more
worthy to be protected than /proc/$PID/exe, or am I missing something?

Tbh, looking at the code I don't really get where CAP_SYS_PTRACE seems
to be required, but experimenting from userspace this seems to be the
case.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.