Re: checkpatch whitespace

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 11:48:46 EST

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I don't think that a bit of trailing whitespace hurts that much (it is
> very easy to create when fixing overly long lines, another checkpatch
> complain), and at least akpm autofixes the whitespace, anyway, but...

The problem with trailing whitespace in files is that future developers
have to keep it the same while making changes in the area, or it'll add
noise to their commits and patches. Fixing up a patch to stop removing
trailing whitespace is even more of a pain than fixing a patch to stop
adding it.

> Would it be possible to add autofixing to checkpatch? Fixing
> whitespace issues by hand is useless & boring task...

Until checkpatch does it, "git apply" can be configured to auto-correct.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*