Re: Linux 2.6.27.27

From: Marc Dionne
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 20:38:11 EST

On 07/20/2009 07:56 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:
I might be seeing a slightly different bug, but in case it's helpful, the
behaviour here on Fedora rawhide with gcc-4.4.0-14.x86_64 and
binutils-2.19.51.0.11-27.fc12.x86_64 is that I get various .o files that come
out as completely empty files (or in one case as a precisely 64K sized file
that gives a "File format not recognized" error"), and the latest 2.6.31-rc
git can't be built at all.

Hmm. This sounds more like the binutils bug that people had. Sounds like
an assembler bug if the *.o file ends up being empty or at some fixed
size. If it was cc1 that fails, I'd expect to not see an *.o file at all,
since it didn't generate good assembly.

In fact, your behavior sounds like the thing that produces the *.o files
core-dumped or died for other reasons, and had a 64kB buffer that either
got flushed or not. That would explain the "zero or exactly 64kB" size.

It could be ccache too, of course.

Actually in my case it turns out that it is ccache after all - if I remove it from the picture everything is fine. If I re-enable it, even with a clean cache, I get the problem.

It might just be a coincidence that it's triggered by the -fwrapv change.

Marc