Re: Linux 2.6.30.2: does not boot

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 18:03:00 EST

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Kiko Piris wrote:
> > Just to clarify:
> >
> > - you literally have a _working_ 2.6.30.1 that you compiled yourself a
> > few days ago.
>
> Thatʼs correct.
>
> > - But when you try to compile that same kernel _now_, it fails with an
> > immediate reboot? And not just 2.6.30.2, but 2.6.30.1 does that too?
>
> Also correct.
>
> > That certainly implies something else than just the -fwrapv vs
> > -fno-strict-overflow thing.
>
> Yes, as Marcel Beister pointed, it resulted some binutils bug.
> Downgrading the package produced a perfectly bootable 2.6.30.2.

Ok, so it's been narrowed down to binutils. Good.

> > But we may be looking at two different issues, so maybe your "unable to
> > compile a working kernel" issue is different from the other reports.
>
> Totally unrelated to other reports, and not a kernel bug, in fact.

Well, it's still not entirely clear that it's unrelated.

It seems that all the people involved are running Debian/sid, and I don't
think we have any firm confirmation yet that it's the compiler flag for
anybody. It was certainly the primary suspect, but maybe that was always
just a red herring guess.

Wolfgang hasn't actually tried to compile without the -fno-strict-overflow
flag yet, and maybe his hang is the same binutils bug.

Of course, maybe I missed some gcc flag confirmation that wasn't cc'd to
me. So who knows..

Linus