Re: DRM drivers with closed source user-space: WAS [Patch 0/3] ResubmitVIA Chrome9 DRM via_chrome9 for upstream

From: Thomas Hellström
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 11:03:17 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

I think you're just trying to push your agenda.

I think you're just trying to defend your business writing closed source
drivers. Drivers that aren't usable without binary blobs don't have
a business in the kernel tree, and your whining doesn't help it. You'd
be better off spending your time getting proper open drivers done than
defending doing the work to support closed binaries.

You obviously got all this completely wrong.

I avoid writing closed source drivers whenever I can, I'm not whining and I'm not trying to push any of them. The code VIA is trying to submit has not been written by me nor anybody I know. All VIA code I and the companies I've worked for has written is open-sourced and contributed to the Openchrome / mesa / drm project.

The point I'm trying to make is the following:

If the common agreement of the linux community is to *NOT* allow these drivers in, so be it, then be honest and go ahead and tell the driver writers. Don't make them respin their development trying to fix minor flaws when their driver won't get in anyway!

/Thomas