Re: DRM drivers with closed source user-space: WAS [Patch 0/3]Resubmit VIA Chrome9 DRM via_chrome9 for upstream

From: Andrey Panin
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 10:10:11 EST

On 201, 07 20, 2009 at 03:38:32PM +0200, Thomas Hellstr?m wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It appears that GPL'd DRM drivers for closed-source user-space
> clients are becoming more common, and the situation appears to be
> causing a lot of unnecessary work from people wanting their drivers
> in the mainstream kernel. Arguments against pushing upstream
> include.
>
> * Security.
> * User space interface validation and maintainability.
> * Politics

Why should linux kernel developers care about these drivers at all ?

* If such driver is accepted it immediately puts compatibility burden on drm
developers without any gain for them.

* Users are still on mercy of binary blob supplier. Will this blob run on arm ?
Or powerpc ? Or even x86_64 ? Will it be compatible with XOrg X.Y ?
Nobody knows that and there is no gain for users too.