Re: Regression 2.6.31: ioctl(EVIOCGNAME) no longer returns devicename

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 16:15:01 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 03:20:50PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
(resending.. somebody trimmed linux-kernel from the CC: earlier)

Jean Delvare wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:38:37 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
I'm debugging various other b0rked things in 2.6.31 here right now,
so I had a closer look at the Hauppauge I/R remote issue.

The ir_kbd_i2c driver *does* still find it after all.
But the difference is that the output from 'lsinput' has changed
and no longer says "Hauppauge". Which prevents the application from
finding the remote control in the same way as before.
OK, thanks for the investigation.

I'll hack the application code here now to use the new output,
but I wonder what the the thousands of other users will do when
they first try 2.6.31 after release ?
..

Mmm.. appears to be a systemwide thing, not just for the i2c stuff.
*All* of the input devices now no longer show their real names
when queried with ioctl(EVIOCGNAME). This is a regression from 2.6.30.
Note that the real names *are* still stored somewhere, because they
do still show up correctly under /sys/

Should be fixed by f936601471d1454dacbd3b2a961fd4d883090aeb in the
for-linus branch of my tree.
..

Peachy. Push it, or post it here and I can re-test with it.

(does anyone else find it spooky that a google search for the
above commit id actually finds Dmitry's email quoted above ?
Mere seconds after he posted it for the very first time ??)