Re: Generic events for wake up from S1-S4

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 19:56:38 EST

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Hm yeah, but I doubt someone will do that, generally we'd get one wake
> up event. Can't we just report the first one and ignore the rest?

Well, I'd say keeping it simple is best, here. What if you ignore the more
interesting wakeup events by chance (and it is really up to userspace to
know what it considers interesting...)? IMHO, just issue as many
notifications as needed, let userspace filter it if it wants.

But if you guys are talking about something really generic, shouldn't it
also provide the important "why" along with the "who"?

Even for the most common cases, the "why" is useful: userspace may well want
to run special routines when it wakes up because of WoL and WoW (instead of
a key press, lid open or mouse movement...).

When you factor in wakeups caused by platform alarms, well, the "why"
becomes even more interesting.

> > What about simply reporting "wake event happened on this device" and
> > doing that for all the devices?
>
> That's fine too. Just think it would be nice to be more specific if possible.

A generic way for a device (of any sort, not just network devices!) to
report that they just issued a system wakeup message, as well as the reason
it did that seems like a good way to do it to me.

Henrique Holschuh