Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.4.rc1

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 02:55:55 EST

Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I want to publish this tree to the world via a *.kernel.org-like
> system, so my task is to
>
> scp -r /spare/repo/cld/.git remote.example.com:/pub/scm/cld.git
>
> but if I do this with scp, then future pushes to
> remote.example.com:/pub/scm/cld.git emit the warning about updating
> the currently checked-out branch

I think "scp -r" is a wrong way to "clone", as it will copy .git/config
that is specific to your local work tree that does not apply to the
situation at remote.example.com anyway. You do not want to push into your
local repository with a work tree you are "scp -r"ing out of, but you do
want to push into the one at remote.example.com.

Interestingly enough, we had a two separate thread about making a bare
repository out of a repository with a work tree today ;-)

remote.example.com$ cd /pub/scm/
remote.example.com$ git clone --bare over.there:/spare/repo/cld/.git cld.git