Re: Found the commit that causes the OOMs

From: David Howells
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 16:00:39 EST

Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> David. Doesn't it happen OOM if you revert my patch, still?

It does happen, and indeed happens in v2.6.30, but requires two adjacent runs
of msgctl11 to trigger, rather than usually triggering on the first run. If
you interpolate the rest of LTP between the iterations, it doesn't seem to
happen at all on v2.6.30. My guess is that with the rest of LTP interpolated,
there's either enough time for some cleanup or something triggers a cleanup
(the swapfile tests perhaps?).

> Befor I go to the trip, I made debugging patch in a hurry. Mel and I
> suspect to put the wrong page in lru list.
>
> This patch's goal is that print page's detail on active anon lru when it
> happen OOM. Maybe you could expand your log buffer size.

Do you mean to expand the dmesg buffer? That's probably unnecessary: I capture
the kernel log over a serial port into a file on another machine.

> Could you show me the information with OOM, please ?

Attached. It's compressed as there was rather a lot.

David
---