Re: fanotify: the fscking all notification system

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 10:36:55 EST

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:08:45 EDT, Eric Paris said:

> fanotify provides two things:
> 1) a new notification system, sorta like inotify, only instead of an
> arbitrary 'watch descriptor' which userspace has to know how to map back
> to an object on the filesystem, fanotify provides an open read-only fd
> back to the original object. It should be noted that the set of
> fanotify events is much smaller than the set of inotify events.
>
> 2) an access system in which processes may be blocked until the fanotify
> userspace listener has decided if the operation should be allowed.

I don't care much about virus scanners - but some of us with petabytes of
disk space to manage could use tis for HSM applications. The HSM daemon
could fanotify on the file, notice that the file accessed referred to a
special "I've been archived" stub/token, and put the file back before
giving the go-ahead to the process.

The only sticky question - does this happen early enough that the accessing
process, when un-blocked, will continue through open() and get the *new*
version of the newly restored file?