Re: [RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 09:18:37 EST

Hello,

Greg KH, le Mon 29 Jun 2009 21:18:33 -0700, a écrit :
> > I believe there are two things:
> >
> > - per- harware speech synthesizer parameters (e.g. speed, pitch, etc.)
> > - screen reading parameters (e.g. characters pronunciation, key_echo,
> > current synthesizer being used etc.)
> >
> > Speech synthesizers should probably have their own device class, how
> > should it be called? "synth"? "speech"?
>
> Which do you think it should?

Speakup used to call them "synth", but anything else than speech could
be synthesized, so speech may be better.

> > Then there are the screen reading parameters. I'd tend to think that
> > like there are /sys/{block,firmware,fs,power}, there could be a
> > /sys/accessibility, or even shorter, /sys/a11y? Speakup parameters
> > could then be in /sys/a11y/speakup?
>
> Wouldn't these be on a "per-screen" basis?

Mmm, what do you call a screen? I guess you mean
/sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0? It would make sense indeed.

> So they would live under the screen reader device itself, not way up
> high in the device tree.

One problem is usability. That's something that users
will often want to tune, and /sys/a11y/speakup/key_echo is
definitely easier for the very common case of one head, than
/sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/reader/speakup/key_echo :)

> Actually, you are proposing them outside of the device tree, which I
> do not think you want at all.

It depends on what you call a "device". It's probably not obvious that
a screen reader is a device, but why not.

> What specific files are you thinking you would need?

There are a lot of them actually, like 20, tuning various aspects of
reading what happens on the console.

Samuel