Re: [Bug #13319] Page allocation failures with b43 and p54usb

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 04:25:16 EST

Hi David,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM, David Rientjes<rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON is generally the configuration used in
> the real world.

It is, hence the epic bug report that's eaten too many man hours
already! Look, we encourage _testers_ to turn all as much as debugging
options as possible so we catch bugs early. That why the only sane
defaults are the ones that don't cause other problems!

I don't know why you want to argue this. It's simply not an option to
say "stupid user, fix your config" in core code like the slab
allocator. Enabling CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON is a very reasonable thing to
do when you are a tester looking for bugs.

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>> So we should fix SLUB debugging as outlined by Mel Gorman and
>> Christoph Lameter. I simply haven't had the time to do it. Patches are
>> welcome!

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM, David Rientjes<rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You're referring to `slub_debug=A'?  I think CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON should
> continue to enable debugging on all slab caches and in instances where it
> causes page allocation failures such in Larry's case because
> oo_order(s->min) with debugging on is greater than oo_order(s->min) with
> debugging off, you can emit a friendly warning in your recently added
> slab_out_of_memory() about using `slab_debug=-,<cache>'.
>
> We have a disagreement about which is the default behavior, but I would
> opt on the side of adding exemptions to a debug configuration option as
> opposed to requiring additional command line parameters to be fully
> enabled.

Yup, I was referring to slub_debug=A and no, I don't agree with you
that it should be on by default. Only people who know what they're
doing should enable the option and a random tester by definition
doesn't (no offence to Mr. Random Tester).

Pekka