Re: [GIT PULL] notification tree - fsnotify assumes incorrectlypositive parent dentry

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 16:10:21 EST

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Eric Paris wrote:

> Linus please consider pulling from the notification tree. There is one
> patch in the tree which should fix an issue in which fsnotify assumed
> that dentry->d_parent->d_inode != NULL. This turns out to be false for
> spufs and causes a panic.

Hmm. It does sound like a reasonable assumption, though. Maybe spufs
should be fixed to have an inode for all directories?

A NULL d_inode means that something is a negative dentry, and a negative
dentry shouldn't have children.

Added a few ppc people to the cc.

I'll pull the fix, but I really think it sounds like spufs is doing
something wrong here.

Linus