Re: [dm-devel] REQUEST for new 'topology' metrics to be moved outof the 'queue' sysfs directory.

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 08:45:39 EST

On 06/29/2009 02:41 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29 2009, NeilBrown wrote:

>>> Neil, will you please stop these silly games. Stop trying to invent
>>> differences based on interpretations of what you read into my replies.
>>
>> We do seem to be having trouble communicating don't we :-(
>> Be assured that it is not my intention to play games, silly or otherwise.
>>
>> Maybe I should just try sending you patches. Maybe that will
>> make my meaning clearer.
>>
>> For the moment, I'm much more interested in the other question,
>> that of whether I can avoid having a 'queue' directory introduced into
>> md/dm/etc device directories in sysfs.
>
> We already talked about this, several times. My answer is that it seems
> pointless to begin with internally, and externally it just makes the API
> worse since tools then have to know which device type they are talking
> to.

I do however see a problem with sysfs-files that mostly work for most devices
but for some "device type" they do nothing silently. At least make these
directory/files read-only for the un-used cases (eg. dm/md). And return proper
values to indicate their un-usefulness like "-1" or "NA"

> So I still see absolutely zero point in making such a change, quite the
> opposite.

Just my $0.017
Boaz