Re: kmemleak hexdump proposal

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 06:44:26 EST

On (06/29/09 13:19), Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 13:19 +0300, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
> > Well, it's not easy to come up with something strong.
> > I agree, that stack gives you almost all you need.
> >
> > HEX dump can give you a _tip_ in case you're not sure.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it in any way.
I don't think so ;) _IF_ even so - it's absolutely normal, to my mind.

> If Catalin is interested in merging this kind of
> functionality, go for it! You might want to consider unconditionally
> enabling the hexdump. If the information is valuable, we should print
> it all the time.
I guess it's valuable enougth to print it, but not valuable enougth to print it all the time.
So, let me say - it's valuable enougth to print 'on demand', I guess. (I may be wrong).

BTW, printing it all the time we can spam kmemleak (in case there are objects sized 2K, 4K and so on).
That's why I wrote about hexdump=OBJECT_POINTER.

> Pekka

Sergey