Re: performance counter 20% error finding retired instruction count

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 14:11:59 EST

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Vince Weaver <vince@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those ~2100 instructions are executed by your app: as the ELF
dynamic loader starts up your test-app.

If you have some tool that reports less than that then that tool is
not being truthful about the true overhead of your application.

Wait a second... my application is a statically linked binary. There is no ELF dynamic loader involved at all.

On further investigation, all of the overhead comes _entirely_ from the perf utility. This is overhead and instructions that would not occur when not using the perf utility.

From the best I can tell digging through the perf sources, the performance
counters are set up and started in userspace, but instead of doing an immediate clone/exec, thousands of instructions worth of other stuff is done by perf in between.

Ther "perfmon" util, plus linux-user simulators like qemu and valgrind do things properly. perf can't it seems, and it seems to be a limitation of the new performance counter infrastructure.

Vince

PS. Why is the perf code littered with many many __MINGW32__ defined?
Should this be in the kernel tree? It makes the code really hard
to follow. Are there plans to port perf to windows?