[RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 18:05:04 EST

Hello,

Just as a reminder, Speakup is an in-kernel screen reader that uses
hardware speech synthesis to say what gets printed on the Linux console.

In the process of cleaning it, we are moving its configuration stuff
into proper places. I believe there are two things:

- per- harware speech synthesizer parameters (e.g. speed, pitch, etc.)
- screen reading parameters (e.g. characters pronunciation, key_echo,
current synthesizer being used etc.)

Speech synthesizers should probably have their own device class, how
should it be called? "synth"? "speech"?

Synthesizers are usually plugged on serial ports, but there is no bus
abstraction for that, so I believe we can put them in the virtual bus.

Then there are the screen reading parameters. I'd tend to think that
like there are /sys/{block,firmware,fs,power}, there could be a
/sys/accessibility, or even shorter, /sys/a11y? Speakup parameters
could then be in /sys/a11y/speakup?

Samuel