Re: [patch] eventfd - revised interface and cleanups (2nd rev)

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 19:57:36 EST

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Split what? My skull?

Heh :)

> umm, yes please, I believe the patches should be split. And I'm still
> not seeing the justification for forcing CONFIG_EVENTFD onto all
> CONFIG_AIO users!

Eventfd notifications became part of the AIO API (it's not even delivered
through a new syscall, from the AIO side - same existing aiocb struct and
io_submit syscall) once we merged it, so IMHO (AIO && !EVENTFD) would be
similar to split AIO in AIO_READ and AIO_WRITE and have (AIO && !AIO_WRITE).
Considering that the kernel config, once you unleash the CONFIG_EMBEDDED
pandora box, allows you to select (AIO && !EVENTFD) w/out even a warning
about possible userspace breakages, this makes it rather a confusing
configuration if you ask me.
It's not a biggie from the kernel side, just a few ugly errors wrappers
around functions. For me AIO (or whatever userspace visible kernel
subsystem) should select all the components that are part of the userspace
API, but my argument ends here.

- Davide