Re: [merged]proctxt-update-kernel-filesystem-proctxt-documentation.patch removed from-mm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 11:32:19 EST

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:33:25 +0200 Stefani Seibold <stefani@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Alexey's point is that follow_page() will return NULL if it hits a
> > > swapped-out stack page and the loop will exit, leading to an incorrect
> > > (ie: short) return value from get_stack_usage_in_bytes().
> > >
> > > Is this claim wrong?
> >

> No.
>
> I digged in the kernel source and the only solution i found is to use
> the walk_page_range() like show_smap() in proc/fs/task_mmu.c.
>
> Maybe there is an easier way, but i dont know.
>
> So i would implement a similar function like smaps_pte_range() in
> proc/fs/task_mmu.c to detected the high water usage.

Perhaps we could enhance follow_page() so that it can tell the caller
when the target page is "virtually there", but swapped out. Add a new
FOLL_SWAP, I guess.

How to communicate this back to the caller? Perhaps add another
argument to follow_page(), perhaps return some magic value such as

#define FOLLOW_PAGE_SWAPPED_PAGE ((struct page *)1)

Adding the additional argument would be nicer.