Re: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 13:17:03 EST

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Actually, there's a slight complication here. If I push gfp mask to
> __might_sleep(), lockdep_trace_alloc() and so on, the mask is
> effective _everywhere_ even outside of slab. Yes, it makes sense if we
> push the masking right down to the page allocator but I wonder if
> that's something we want to do at this point?

This actually doesn't sound like a complication to me, but a potential
cleanup.

Right now we already have that magic "system_state" test in __might_sleep.
Maybe we could get rid of that, and replace it with that test for gpf
bits. So we'd have just _one_ magic special case, and it's directly
related to memory allocation (which is really the reason for that system
state thing too).

But maybe we have other reasons for that system_state special case, that
are independent. I have not checked.

Linus