Re: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 05:57:49 EST

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 19:51 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I think the boot order is too likely to change to make it a sane thing
> to have all call sites "know" at what point they are in the boot
> process. In your example, what does GFP_BOOT would mean ? Before
> scheduler is initialized ? before interrupts are on ?

Btw, I think this is a pretty important point. Linus suggested trying to
make slab initialization even earlier than what we now have. If we do
require GFP_BOOT annotations, then we'd need to sprinkle those all over
the place when we do that.

So from code shuffling point of view, it's better to support GFP_KERNEL
(almost) everywhere rather than require special annotations.

Pekka