Re: [Patch BUGFIX] kcore: fix its wrong size on x86_64

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 04:58:49 EST

Please don't top-post.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 04:34:27PM +0800, Tao Ma wrote:
> Hi Amerigo,
>
> The wrong number I mean is 131941393240064.
>
> So do you think
> [root@test3 ~]# ls -l /proc/kcore
> -r-------- 1 root root 131941393240064 Jun 15 13:39 /proc/kcore
>
> is better than
>
> [taoma@test2 ~]$ ll /proc/kcore
> -r-------- 1 root root 281474974617600 Jun 15 15:20 /proc/kcore
> ?

Yes, the former *is* what I can expect.

> I don't think so.
>
> Actually the right result should look like
>
> [root@test8 ~]# ls -l /proc/kcore
> -r-------- 1 root root 5301604352 Jun 15 13:35 /proc/kcore
>
> And with your patch I can't get this number.

Of course not.

Again and again, kernel modules and vsyscall are also included
into kcore, unless doing this is wrong you will never get the
number you mentioned above, because they sit above the
phy mem map on x86_64.

Please read the code, I don't want to explain again and again.