Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 16:10:40 EST

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

> It could be that shipping userspace code in the kernel bundle will
> improve that situation. So let's give it a try. If it turns out to be
> good, let's do it again. If it turns out to be bad, let's move perf
> out of the kernel tree and not do it again.

Exactly. Right now, I use the oprofile experience as a reason for why we
should try to do this. But hey, who knows, in one year, maybe people will
use _this_ experience as a reason why we should never do it again.

We just don't know yet. But that's no reason not to try. Either way, we'll
hopefully learn something.

Or to quote Edison:
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in
proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the
ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Linus