Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: David Newall
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 14:11:14 EST

Pekka Enberg wrote:
> And really, what do we gain by moving perf out of tree and making it
> follow its own release cycle (and getting out of sync eventually)?

I'm sure perf will change, for example as faults are discovered in it.
Perhaps, too, the kernel side counters will change, but will the ABI?
Peter Zijlstra comment ("we most certainly intend to maintain its ABI")
implies it won't, or won't in such a way as to break user space tools.

What I'm saying is that this doesn't sound like something that needs
user-space in lock-step with kernel.