Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 12:55:30 EST

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Did you take a look a tools/perf/? There is nothing close to hardware
> at all. It's all pretty highly abstracted away from anything resembling
> the hardware through the perfcounters interface.

The thing is, the raw perfcounters interface isn't going to be useful as
is. And I have seen where things go when you split them up. So when I get
the choice, I'll go down the road of unproven failure, in the hope that it
will be successful, rather than doing the same mistake once more.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over, expecting to get
different results."

And I'm not insane.

Anyway, feel free to disagree. I just don't care.

Linus