RE: [tip:tracing/core] Revert "x86, bts: reenable ptrace branchtrace support"

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 06:39:55 EST

What more would we get?

I take it that you don't want to implement branch tracing via PEBS,
which would be possible but rather inefficient since the BTS format
is much more compact than the PEBS format.

So we would still implement it via BTS and we would still like to present
a branch trace specific format to the user.

Are you suggesting to use a common ABI for sampling and branch tracing?

The existing ABI is tailored towards the expected users: debuggers.
I do believe that a ptrace based interface makes a lot of sense for
this debugging-related feature, since debuggers already speak ptrace.

Branch tracing and sampling are used by different classes of user-mode
applications. I don't think that a common ABI would benefit user-mode.
Since we do need different implementations in the kernel, I don't see
how a common ABI would help here, either.

I rather see this as two independent, unrelated hardware features that
happen to use the same technique to allow arbitrary-sized buffers and
that therefore share some hardware real-estate.

regards,
markus.

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052