Re: [Bonding-devel] BUG: bonding module can only be loaded once

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Tue Jun 09 2009 - 18:14:24 EST

Jay Vosburgh wrote:
Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd expect its not the distros, but rather the applicances which might
still be using this. I know a vendor I used to work for a couple of
years ago just recently made the switch from 2.6.16 to a current kernel,
and I'd expect that they are still using this (I can find out tommorrow
if you want to know for sure). Vyatta likewise, I guess.

Yes, I'd like to know for sure; thanks.

I'll let you know.

If nobody has any heartburn at dropping support for multiple
bonding instances on old distros, I'm as happy as anybody to remove all
of the multiple load logic from bonding. There's been plenty of time
for transitioning from "multiple load" to sysfs.
In my opinion it would need a feature-removal-schedule announcement.

Yah, probably. The multiple load stuff was working fine as of,
oh, a year or two ago, so I wasn't worried so much about getting rid of
it. If it's causing problems, though, it's time for it to go (or be
scheduled to go in the not too distant future). Can't keep driving that
Ford Pinto forever.

Well, if it has been broken for long enough, maybe we don't need
a feature-removal-schedule warning.