Re: 2.6.30-rc8 does not boot

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 06:48:09 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Hello.

I just gave 2.6.30-rc a try, taken from Linus git, tag v2.6.29-rc8.
And this one does not want to boot on my test machine which is an
AMD X2-64 with AMD780G chipset. Neither 64 nor 32bit kernel boots.
I even tried in kvm virtual machine, -- same effect. It freezes right
after displaying "Verifying BIOS data successful" message -- nothing
more is on the screen.

I did `make silentoldconfig' based on my current 2.6.29 configs. In
the configs there are the following changes:
- quite some changes in various new/changed drivers (which should
not affect what I'm seeing)

- decompression: I've no idea what compression it used before, but
`make oldconfig' offered gzip by default which I accepted. Should
I try bzip2 instead?

- changed HZ from 100 to 300

- also the following which I don't think I touched:

-X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_BYTES=128
+X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_BYTES=64

-X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=128
+X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=64

-X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
+X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6

I'm trying different compression method for now. If it will solve
this issue, my conclusion will be that the default value is wrong
and - oh well - expect more reports/questions like this one :)

Ok, compression did not change anything. But now I've a bit more
info available. Here's how the boot screen looks like when the
boot stops:

BIOS data check successful

PANIC: early exception 0e rip: 10:ffffffff802c9abd error 0 cr2 0

The rest of the system is not very interesting I think: the kernel
config is pretty generic (most stuff is in modules), compiler is
default on Debian Lenny (4.3.2-1.1).

Tried two boot loaders: lilo (22.8) and extlinux. With similar
effect.

Thanks!

/mjt