Panic early in boot

From: Jeff Mitchell
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 17:44:54 EST

I have a x86_64 system running inside a VMware virtual machine. It
works very well with 2.6.25; however, I have tried both 2.6.27 and
2.6.29, and both give me a panic immediately upon boot. I have to use
earlyprintk to get anything useful.

Output is pasted below. It's hand-typed from a screenshot, so
hopefully I didn't mistype anything. I can get the memory ranges if
need be. Hopefully someone knows of the solution/can fix the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

console [earlyvga0] enabled
DMI present.
PANIC: early exception 0e rip 10:ffffffff80866edc error 0 cr2 ffffffffeff44003d
Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 #2
Call Trace:
early_idt_handler+0x5e/0x71
dmi_string_nosave+0x34/0x80
dmi_string_nosave+0x67/0x80