Re: Kernel 2.6.30rc7 limits IDE to UDMA33

From: Grozdan
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 10:02:57 EST

2009/6/5 Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> older kernels have no problems setting the correct UDMA while 2.6.30
>> does have problems. Something must have definitely changed in this
>> latest kernel. I'll go dig in my BIOS to see if I may need to
>> change/force something.
>
> Unless you can actually work through the various kernels and release
> candidates to find the one it changes its basically impossible to tell
> what has occurred or why.

Well, I looked around in the BIOS and there isn't anything I can do to
force a specific UDMA - it only offers disable and auto detect.
Upgrading the BIOS firware won't do a thing since I'm already running
the latest version of it. The BIOS correctly reports that my first
disk is using Transfer Mode 6 and my second one Transfer Mode 5. I've
also noticed that some Ubuntu users have the same problem on kernel
2.6.27 (which works for me)

So if this can't be fixed in the kernel itself, I may need to resort
to kernel params if I experience the problem again in the future. I
may give all rc's of 2.6.30 a try and see which one introduces it...