Re: [benchmark] 1% performance overhead of paravirt_ops on nativekernels

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 03:32:57 EST

Hi,

I think you're missing the point of Rusty's benchmark. I see his exercise as
"compare a kernel configured as a distro would vs a custom-built kernel
configured for the exact target environment". In that light, questions about
the CONFIG options Rusty used should be based on whether most distros would
use them in their stock kernels as opposed to how necessary they are.

Well. The test ran on a machine with so much memory that you need HIGHMEM to use it all. I think it also was SMP. So a custom kernel for *that* machine would certainly include SMP and HIGHMEM ...

What I see as the message of his benchmark is if you care about performance
you should be customizing your kernel anyway.

Sure. That wouldn't include turning off HIGHMEM and SMP though because you need them to make full use of your hardware. While it might be interesting by itself to see what the overhead of these config options is, it is IMHO quite pointless *in the context of this discussion*.

All the other options (namespaces, audit, statistics, whatnot) are different: You check whenever you want that $feature, if not you can turn it off. Distros tend to have them all turned on. So looking at the overhead of these config options when enabled + unused (and compare to the paravirt overhead) is certainly a valid thing.

cheers,
Gerd