Re: only a single core (out of 8) initialized

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 23:31:49 EST

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:52:36 -0700 (PDT) david@xxxxxxx wrote:

> this is 2.6.30-rc7

Were any earlier kernels OK?

> with a patch added to debug a nv sata driver
> incompatibility with the Intel SSDs on a tyan motherboard
>
> on one system it sees all 8 cores, on the other system it only initializes
> one core.
>
> can anyone help me spot what's going wrong in the one that's only seeing a
> single core? If I'm reading things correctly it's seeing both sockets for
> the NUMA setup, but then only initializing one core on the first socket.

good:
SMP: Allowing 8 CPUs, 4 hotplug CPUs

bad:
SMP: Allowing 1 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs

perhaps due to
ACPI: No APIC-table, disabling MPS

You could have a poke around in arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c() and find
out what happened here. I'd be suspecting this code triggered:

/* no processor from mptable or madt */
if (!num_processors)
num_processors = 1;

because ACPI doesn't like that board.