Re: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 16:39:47 EST

Hi,

I'm more than determined to help resolving those sporadic Linux lock-up
problems. It feels like there is some problem out there, given the fact that
there is a number of independent reporters who talk about some kind of hard
system hang without oops that even prevents the NMI watchdog to kick in.

Data point: I have trouble with an (oldish) via box too.

processor : 0
vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 9
model name : VIA Nehemiah
stepping : 3

It has a quite interesting error pattern: It runs rock solid in summer, it has stability issues in winter. It is located in a server rack in a basement, so the weather out there shouldn't make a big difference to the machine. I'm really curious what this might be ...

"stability issues" means it does either lock up or reboot, usually without anything on the serial console. Seems to be more likely under load. The periods of time the machine runs can range from hours to weeks.

cheers,
Gerd