Re: splice methods in character device driver

From: Steve Rottinger
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 09:21:03 EST

Since I was working with a memory region that didn't have any "struct pages"
associated with it (or at least I wasn't able to find a way to retrieve
them for
this space), I took the approach of generating fake struct pages, which
I passed
through the pipe. Unfortunately, this also required me to make some
rather hanus
hacks to various kernel macros to get them to handle the fake pages; ie:
page_to_phys.
I'm not sure if this was the best way to do it, but it was the only way
that I could come
up with. ->map didn't help, since I am in O_DIRECT mode -- I wanted the
disk controller's
DMA to directly transfer from PCI memory.

As this point, I have proof of concept, since I am now able to transfer
some data directly from
PCI space to disk; however, I am still wrestling with some issues:

- I'm not sure at what point it is safe to free up the pages that I am
passing
through the pipe. I tried doing it in the "release" method, however,
this is apparently too
soon, since this results in a crash. How do I know when the system is
done with them?

- The performance is poor, and much slower than transferring directly from
main memory with O_DIRECT. I suspect that this has a lot to do with
large amount of
systems calls required to move the data, since each call moves only
64K. Maybe I'll
try increasing the pipe size, next.

Once I get past these issues, and I get the code in a better state, I'll
be happy to share what
I can.

-Steve