Re: [benchmark] 1% performance overhead of paravirt_ops on native kernels

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Wed Jun 03 2009 - 02:33:39 EST

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
Ingo pointed to a way which doesn't negatively impact the
performance of the Xen kernel and reduces the overhead (dynamic
patching)

The pvops code is already fully dynamically patched, which replaces all the indirect calls with either direct calls, inline instructions or nops. It has been this way from the initial implementation.

More recently I changed the calling convention on some of the most common critical-path ops to reduce the register pressure caused by the function call clobbers; you just don't need a pile of registers to disable interrupts.

Ingo knows all this, so I'm not sure what further patching he's suggesting. I don't see any more likely candidates, but I'm open to suggestions.