Re: [tip:timers/ntp] ntp: adjust SHIFT_PLL to improve NTPconvergence

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 14:07:32 EST

Hello All ,

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Ray Lee wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 09:46 +0000, tip-bot for john stultz wrote:
ntp: adjust SHIFT_PLL to improve NTP convergence

The conversion to the ntpv4 reference model
f19923937321244e7dc334767eb4b67e0e3d5c74 ("ntp: convert to the NTP4
reference model") in 2.6.19 added nanosecond resolution the adjtimex
interface, but also changed the "stiffness" of the frequency adjustments,
causing NTP convergence time to greatly increase.

SHIFT_PLL, which reduces the stiffness of the freq adjustments, was
designed to be inversely linked to HZ, and the reference value of 4 was
designed for Unix systems using HZ=100. ÂHowever Linux's clock steering
code mostly independent of HZ.

So this patch reduces the SHIFT_PLL value from 4 to 2, which causes NTPd
behavior to match kernels prior to 2.6.19, greatly reducing convergence
times, and improving close synchronization through environmental thermal
changes.

[ Impact: tweak NTP algorithm for faster convergence ]

  So I've been speaking with Miroslav (cc'ed) who maintains
the RH ntpd packages, and he's concerned that this patch takes us
out of NTP's expected behavior, which may cause problems when
dealing with non-linux systems using NTP.

I might be missing something here - but Linux converging faster
seems like a genuinely good thing. What non-Linux problem could
there be? Linux's convergence is really Linux's private issue.

Yea. It does seem that way. Miroslav can likely expand on the issue to
help clarify, but as I understand it, the example is if you have a
number of systems that are peers in an NTP network. All of them are
using the same userland NTP daemon. However, if the rate of change that
corrections are applied is different in half of them, you will have
problems getting all the systems to converge together.

Your point is clear, however -- reasonably speaking -- how many
instances will there be out there of networks of peers partially
upgraded versus lone systems slowly or never converging off of
masters?
A site with three or four differant system types , ie: sparc running sloaris , pc running openbsd , Dec(hp) running VMS , Dec(hp) Alpha running Linux , ...
This moving the Hardware Arch & OS differencews is sometimes done to limit hacks & software glicthes by NOT using the same hardware arch or OS .

By my naive understanding, the latter would strongly outnumber the former.
You'd be VERY unhappily suprised .

Hth , JimL
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network&System Engineer | 2133 McCullam Ave | Give me Linux |
| babydr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Fairbanks, AK. 99701 | only on AXP |