Re: RTC-driver kernel 2.6.xxx missing Symbols

From: Alessandro Zummo
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 10:36:34 EST

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:14:35 +0200
Juergen Keidel <wizant.keidel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ello,
> The actual kernel has a new reworked rtc driving system. before, I think
> 2.6.5, the driver was rtc (rtc.c in drivers/char from Paul Gortmaker,
> which exported the function rtc_control, rtc_register, rtc_unregister.
> These functions are very useful for drivers wich need acces to the rtc.
> The new rtc-system (rtc-cmos) is missing these functions.
> As I found out, some drivers especially within the sound area are using
> the functionality, so they won't load anymore!
> (sound/core/rtctimer.c)
> Is there a way around with the new system or is it planned to reactivate
> these functionality.

There's an equivalent functionality which allows any in-kernel user to register
and receive timing interrupts.

That said, I think it would be better to use other timing sources.

Except rtctimer.c, which other driver is using it? When I searched for it,
rtctimer was the only user and I believe its usage is not widespread.

--

Best regards,

Alessandro Zummo,
Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy