new implementation of mutex

From: 谢纲
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 02:49:21 EST

There is new implementaion in newer kernel (my kernel version is
2.6.27). Compared to the old implementaion which uses binary
semaphore, there are some new features:
- 'struct mutex' semantics are well-defined and are enforced if
CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES is turned on. Semaphores on the other hand have
virtually no debugging code or instrumentation. The mutex subsystem
checks and enforces the following rules:

* - only one task can hold the mutex at a time
* - only the owner can unlock the mutex
* - multiple unlocks are not permitted
* - recursive locking is not permitted
* - a mutex object must be initialized via the API
* - a mutex object must not be initialized via memset or copying
* - task may not exit with mutex held
* - memory areas where held locks reside must not be freed
* - held mutexes must not be reinitialized
* - mutexes may not be used in hardware or software interrupt
* contexts such as tasklets and timers

But in my test, I try to lock mutex in one thread, and unlock it in
the other thread. There is nothing wrong happens. It works just like
semaphore. I have had CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES turned on.
The two threads are mostly like this:
struct mutex mutex;

static int mysthread1(void * data){
int i;
i= 5;
while(i -- > 0){
mutex_lock(&mutex);
printk("this is thread1\n");
msleep(5000);
}
return 0;
}

static int mysthread2(void * data){
int i;
i= 5;
while(i -- > 0){
printk("this is thread2\n");
msleep(5000);
mutex_lock(&mutex);
}
return 0;
}

I debug it and find the debug_locks = 0. Is this why there is no
warning message and how turn it on? (I also had CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT
on.)

--
Xie Gang