Re: How to tell whether a struct file is held by a process?

From: Pantelis Koukousoulas
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 10:29:50 EST

>> > Firstly can you explain *why* you think there is a problem ?
>> >

>> I admit this could be a bias from the way I imagined the whole thing
>> to work before
>> this discussion. I think I can see how a userspace locking scheme based on port
>> numbers could avoid also the reset problem
>
> That was a serious request to understand what you think the problem is
> and what problem is worrying you. I'm deeply sceptical of the need for
> any kernel locking on this one but I'd like to understand better why you
> think there are some cases it would be needed.

I don't anymore think kernel locking is really needed for this part. I 'm sorry
if my answer did not sound as serious as your request.

So, as long as the kernel has a facility to allow assigning ports to userspace,
the rest can be arranged between the userspace processes in a cooperative
manner (and in fact this seems to be the only sufficiently clean way from what
I can tell).

Thanks,
Pantelis