Re: [GIT PULL] cputime patch for 2.6.30-rc6

From: Michael Abbott
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 04:44:59 EST

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:31:28 +0200 Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 11:00 +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> > > I don't see a problem here. In an idle multiple cpu system there IS
> > > more idle time than elapsed time. What would makes sense is to
> > > compare elapsed time * #cpus with the idle time. But then there is
> > > cpu hotplug which forces you to look at the delta of two measuring
> > > points where the number of cpus did not change.
>
> Well, we better distinguish between the semantical problem and the
> performance consideration, no? One thing is what the proc field is
> supposed to contain, the other is how fast you can do it.
>
> I have been refering to the semantical problem, but your point with the
> performance is very valid as well. So
>
> 1) are we agreed that the second field of /proc/uptime should contain
> the aggregate idle time of all cpus?

I think that this very simple node (only two fields, let me call them
uptime and idle) should be amenable to simple interpretation. In
particular, I'd like to be able to compute

busy = uptime - idle

In other words, idle should be in the same units of time as uptime, which
is to say it should be in units of elapsed time, not aggregate CPU time.

As far as I can see, that is how it used to be (at least, that's how it
behaves on a dual core processor running a hugely patched 2.6.9 kernel
that I'm looking at here).

Thus, the patch to /proc/uptime that we're discussing has, in the view I'm
trying to argue, replaced a clearly broken idle field with a more subtly
broken version.

The strongest point in my case is this: the first field is in units of
elapsed wall clock time, and therefore the second should also be. Of
course, established practice here is also important, but there is some
ambiguity in the man pages I'm looking at -- this field is described in
proc(5) as:

the amount of time spent in idle process (seconds)

Not aggregate CPU time, but elapsed time, I think is meant here, but the
wording is ambiguous. Grepping for uptime in Documentation doesn't come
up with anything clear either, but I can quote old (2.6.9) precedent
(don't have a more recent multi-core system to hand).